Check Out E-books and Digital Audiobooks to your E-reader or Mobile Device
The Cass County Public Library has a growing collection of more than 2,000 e-books that you can check out for use on a variety of reading devices, such as the Kindle, Nook, and iPad. E-book borrowing requires a free Library account and PIN.
These instructions will focus on our downloadable e-books, which are provided to the Library through a service called OverDrive. The process for checking out e-books will be different depending on whether you are using a Kindle e-reader, a Nook or other supported e-reader, or a smart phone or tablet.
Skip to instructions on how to get e-books for:
Lending & Availability
E-books checked out from the Library are readable for 7 - 21 days. You can check out up to 5 e-books (or digital audio books) at a time. When an item expires, it will be automatically returned and will no longer be viewable on your computer or e-reader. (You may need to manually delete the e-book from your computer or device after it has expired.)
As is the case with physical books, libraries own a limited number of copies of any given e-book. If all copies of the e-book you’re searching for have been checked out, the record will still display, and you can place a hold on it.
The Cass County Public Library’s OverDrive collection, which currently contains Adobe PDF, Adobe EPUB, and Kindle e-books, is supported by most e-readers and devices.
The following devices work with the Cass County Public Library’s e-book collection:
- Amazon Kindle
- Barnes & Noble Nook
- Sony Reader
- iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch (with installation of app)
- All Android devices
- Pandigital Novel
- Literati Reader
If you have an e-reader or device not listed above, visit OverDrive’s list of all compatible devices to find out whether your device will work with the Library’s e-books.
Cass County Public Library offers Kindle versions of many of its e-books. These e-books work on both the Kindle e-reader and on any mobile device or computer through a Kindle app such as the Kindle Cloud Reader.
- Visit our OverDrive e-books collection at Missouri Libraries 2 Go.
- Browse or search for an e-book.
- Click the “Borrow” and then "Go to Loans."
- Next click "Download" then select "Kindle Book."
- This opens the Amazon.com website. You may be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged on. (Sign up for a free account.)
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app. Click the “Get library book” button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it directly to your Kindle via USB.
- You can also deliver e-books wirelessly to a Wi-Fi-enabled Kindle.
- To return a Kindle e-book early, log in to your Amazon account, go to the "Manage My Kindle" page, and choose action "Return this book."
Video Tutorial: Downloading E-books for the Kindle and Kindle App
In order to read the Library's e-books on a Nook, Kobo, or other e-reader, you must download and install the third party software program Adobe Digital Editions on the computer you will be using with your e-reader.
- Download and install the free Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software on your computer (you can also access it on the Help page).
- Create a free Adobe ID and authorize your computer. When the Setup Assistant appears, click "get an Adobe ID online" if you don't already have one.
- Go to the Library’s OverDrive catalog and search or browse for an e-book. (Tip: Use "Advanced Search" and search by e-book format.)
- Once you've found a book, click "Borrow," then from your Cart, click "Go to Loans"
- Enter your Library card number and PIN
- Click “Download” and select "Epub Book."
- In the pop-up window that appears, select “Confirm.”
- Another pop-up window will now open and you will select "Open."
- After ADE launches, connect your e-reader to your computer. In the ADE screen, drag the e-book icon to your e-reader.
- Disconnect your e-reader safely. The e-book will return automatically after 7 - 21 days.
- To return an e-book early, click the drop-down menu on the book cover icon in Adobe Digital Editions and choose "Return Borrowed Item."
You can use the Library’s e-books on popular mobile devices inlcluding Apple and Android devices, this also includes Kindle Fire's that have access to the Google Play store. Computer syncing is not required; e-books can be delivered directly to your device through the free Libby app.
- Install the Libby app from your App Store. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices.
- Once downloaded open the app and click on the “Hi” button. Tap “Find my Library” or search for “Cass County Public Library”.
- Click “Add Library Card” and input your library card number and pin to begin searching for ebooks and audiobooks.
- Search for a specific Author, Title, or Subject or browse through the various genres. When you find a title you would like to checkout out click “Borrow” or click on the cover of the title for more information.
- After clicking “Borrow” you will get a confirmation page to confirm you would like to borrow the title. At this time you can select the amount of days you would like to check out the title. Tap the “Borrow” button to complete the checkout.
- The book will automatically be downloaded to the device. You can now select “Open Book” to begin reading or you can choose to “Keep Browsing” or look at what you currently have checked out by “Going to Shelf”.
- You can return items early or renew items if available by clicking on “Shelf”. Then click on the item and select “Return to Library” or “Renew Item”.